If you want to keep your home clean and comfortable, you need to know what common household pests can infest it. According to a study conducted in 2016, many homes in the United States have pests living in them. According to Census.gov, over 11% of Americans reported seeing different types of pests in their homes.
Some of the pests are harmless, while others can carry disease and damage your home. In this article, we are going to take a look at the most common household pests you may have in your home.
Common Household Pests/Rodents: Mice and Rats
The thought of having mice or rats in your home is probably terrifying. Rodents can be extremely destructive, and they represent a serious invasion of your home. Moreover, mice and rats spread diseases, such as rat-bite fever, hantavirus, and salmonella. The most common entry points for mice and rats are pipes, doors, and vents.
You may not spot rodents, but you can tell that you have them if you find their droppings that look like large coffee grounds. If you have mice, you need to get rid of them as soon as possible because they reproduce quickly.
There are certain things you can do to keep rodents out of your house:
- Remove all food sources. Food attracts rodents to your house, so you should make sure that you keep your food in tamper-proof bins and glass and metal containers. Also, try not to leave pet food out for long periods.
- Seal entry points. You should find and seal all the holes in the foundation, doorways, and siding. You can cover holes with duct tape and steel wool because mice cannot chew through them.
- Use natural repellent. Certain smells can help keep mice away. Try such combinations as apple and cider, hot pepper solution, and fabric softener.
- Get a cat. One of the most effective ways to keep the mouse population down is to have a cat. Mice do not like the smell of cat urine and therefore will not stay in a place where a cat lives.
Cockroaches are disgusting, and no one wants to have them in their house. Moreover, cockroaches are disease carriers, including salmonella, staphylococcus, and hepatitis. They can also contaminate your food and utensils with harmful organisms that they carry on their legs.
The most common places where you can find cockroaches are wet, dark, and warm places. They often hide under or inside ovens, dishwashers, refrigerators, and stoves. They can also hide behind or beneath toasters, microwaves, coffee makers, and other small kitchen appliances.
Here are the ways that will help to prevent cockroaches from invading your home:
- Seal entry points. Cockroaches can enter your house through any tiny opening. Therefore, you should remove all the possible entrances and seal up any cracks and gaps, especially in the flooring and walls.
- Clean your house regularly and keep it tidy. One of the most effective ways to prevent cockroach infestation is to keep your dwelling clean. You should not leave dirty dishes in the sink for too long, clean leftovers right after eating, and clean out cabinets.
- Get rid of moisture sources. Moisture is one of the major attractors of cockroaches. Often, roaches come to apartments through sink drains and showers. One of the good methods to prevent cockroaches from coming into your house is to place covers on drains at night or when you are not at home. You should also always drain water from tubs and sinks after using them.
Ants are insects that enter homes searching for food. They can be found anywhere in the house, but the most common rooms they are usually spotted in are bathrooms and kitchens. An interesting fact about these common household pests is that they do not typically live indoors, but they establish colonies around a house. It is quite annoying to see ants in your kitchen, but at least do not cause any damage.
Ants are difficult to control, but there are certain things you can do to avoid them and prevent them from entering your house. Here is what you can do:
- Keep your house clean. As mentioned above, ants come to a house searching for food. Therefore, it is important to make sure that you are not leaving evidence of your meals around. Leftover food, as well as dirty dishes, attract ants immediately by becoming a delicious ants buffet. Also, vacuum the floor in the areas of your house where food is prepared and consumed so that you know that there are no unnoticed food cramps.
- Store food in sealed containers. Another effective way to make sure that you do not attract ants to your home is to seal up your food and store it in containers, including pet food. If there is any food that is not sealed up properly, you should put it in a container.
- Get rid of the trash regularly. Just like many other common household pests, ants are attracted to trash. For this reason, you should take it out regularly and prevent it from accumulating in your home. It is recommended not to keep your trash cans inside your house. They also should be properly sealed, so ants cannot get in.
- Eliminate moisture. Another thing that ants like is moisture. Therefore, there should not be any sources of moisture in your house. There are certain things you can do for that: emptying your sinks in the kitchen after using them, fixing leaks, and keeping sponges and kitchen towels dry.
Another flightless, small and annoying type of pest that can invade your home is fleas. Fleas can easily multiply and start biting you and your pets. The worst thing about fleas is that they carry diseases, so they can be harmful. Fleas can easily multiply and start biting you and your pets. Even if you do not see the fleas, it does not mean that you do not have them. Fleas can be a problem at any time, both in summer and winter.
To keep fleas out of your home, here is a list of things you can do:
- Trim trees and grass in your backyard. If you live in a house and have a backyard or garden, you need to make sure that it is not too inviting for fleas. You should cut and trim your grass, shrubs, and trees regularly. By trimming the grass, for example, you are getting rid of the shade that flees. Regular trimming also prevents wild animals from coming to your yard and bringing fleas with them.
- Vacuum your home regularly. Since fleas often live on rugs, cushions, and carpeting, you should vacuum your home regularly. You should also know that fleas can live inside a vacuum cleaner as well. Therefore, changing vacuum bags regularly is also important.
- Give your pets regular baths and provide them with proper flea and tick prevention. Pets often catch fleas, and if your dog or cat did, it is important not to ignore them. Make sure to bathe your pet by using special shampoos that are made to remove fleas. There are also special products that are used to remove fleas and ticks in your pet. You can talk to your veterinarian about them, who can recommend you something.
Flies are more than just annoying buzzing and flying creatures. You may not know but they also carry over 100 different pathogens. Since they are attracted to food, they can leave these pathogens and bacteria on it, causing serious diseases and health issues. The most common types of flies are houseflies, fruit flies, and gnats. Even though flies have a short lifespan, they can reproduce in large numbers very quickly.
If you want to keep flies out of your house, here is what should be done:
- Install screens in your house. With the help of screens, you can keep many insects out of your house, including also bugs and mosquitos. Professionals recommend choosing aluminum, fiberglass, or plastic screens because they are more durable.
- Keep your house clean. To prevent flies from invading your home, you should keep it as clean as possible. You should not leave food on your table or counters, dirty dishes in a sink, or drink spills and crumbs on countertops.
- Call professionals. It might be hard to handle the infestation of flies or other insects yourself. In this case, it is recommended to call in professionals who will use effective methods and treatments to get rid of these pests completely.
Find a Reliable and Safe Pest Control For Your Home With ONIT
Nothing is worse than finding pests in your home! Some pests are easily controlled and prevented, while others require the help of professional pest control services. If you are currently looking for pest control, ONIT Home is ready to help you. We work with the best and most reliable pest professionals across the United States. In addition, we also offer other home solutions, including maintenance services, concierge, insurance, smart security, water filtration, and solar energy. If you have any questions, or you want to know more about the services we offer at ONIT, do not hesitate to reach out to us. Visit us online or give us a call at 1-833-433-0331.