Although there are positive reports on the downward trend in residential burglaries across the US, there are still neighborhoods grappling with crime. Choosing the perfect area to live in can be daunting. That’s because you will not only be looking for a lovely house but also a good, safe neighborhood. Whether or not you have a family or looking to buy a house or rent one, safety is always a top priority for many homeowners. Furthermore, you may want to know the safety of your neighborhood and what’s happening, when, and where. So if you’re wondering, “How safe is my neighborhood?” and “How do I find out?” We have listed some useful tools you can use.
From crime statistics to community websites, these tools will provide valuable insights regarding safety in the area of your concern. We’ll also list the different security equipment you can install in your home to heighten your security.
Augurisk Now is an assessment platform that helps you analyze the risk of crime, earthquakes, storms, air pollution, and more. This tool uses advanced data analysis techniques to ensure you get an accurate risk assessment of your neighborhood’s safety. Using the crime risk score, Augurisk Now notifies you once you enter a dangerous neighborhood. So far, this tool has 77% accuracy, making it a worthy tool for analyzing your neighbor’s safety. You can download Augurisk Now from the Google Play Store or Apple Store or use the web-based version.
CrimeReports is an online crime mapping tool that will let you access up-to-date crime data from local law enforcement agencies. Using the tool is simple; just enter your address, and you will see recent crimes in your neighborhood on the map. This tool gives you more details about the crime, including the date and type of crime. With the CrimeReport tool, you will have crime data that can help you stay updated with your neighborhood safety state or any other you’re interested in.
If you’re looking for a place to live, AreaVibes is an excellent tool to help you analyze the safety of a given area. AreaVibes combines various factors to calculate a livability score for different areas. These factors include crime rates, employment, health & safety, schools, nearby amenities, commute, cost of living, housing, and user ratings.
AreaVibes paints a clear picture of what living in the area you’re searching for is like. It gives you the crime trend in that area, including the year-over-year crime rate. You also get a brief description of the area and can compare your area of interest with any other city you like. On top of all this, you can read reviews about the neighborhood, giving you an overall picture of the safety and quality of life in that area.
SpotCrime is a crime mapping tool and alert service that provides crime data for specific locations. You can use this valuable tool to check for timely and accurate crime information in the US and many other countries. Being the most visited crime map in the US, SpotCrime gives you crime information in your city, including local neighborhood statistics. You can also get crime alerts upon subscription, allowing you to stay on top of your neighborhood safety information.
Nextdoor is a private neighborhood-focused social networking tool that allows locals to connect and communicate with each other. This tool is a useful resource where neighbors can share local security and safety information. Nextdoor can also help residents report suspicious activities and stay updated on initiatives to improve the community’s safety. It also fosters a sense of collaboration and vigilance that helps residents support each other in maintaining a safe environment.
Family Watchdog is a free platform that allows you to access the names of sex offenders and other registered offenders. All you need to do is enter your address, and you will see a map highlighting the location of the registered offenders. You can access their details on their conviction by clicking on the marker, or you can view a list of all offenders in that location. You can also subscribe to free notifications to alert you when a registered offender moves in or out of your neighborhood.
National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW)
Like the Family Watchdog, the National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW) allows the public to access information about offenders registered in the neighborhood. The website also provides more details on their offenses and their current address. The NSOPW allows you to search offenders by name, Zip Code, or address. This website also provides resources on sexual abuse and assault, like how to identify, prevent, and respond to such cases.
The NeighborhoodScout website gives people access to comprehensive neighborhood data and crime statistics. With this tool, you can filter your neighborhood or any other area by entering an address, zip code, city, state, or longitude/latitude. NeighborhoodScout provides a crime index that shows how safe your neighborhood is compared to other areas. Besides filtering crime statistics, you can use Neighborhoodscout to filter school quality, economic and demographic statistics, and housing values. While this tool provides comprehensive neighborhood data, there’s a catch. You will need to subscribe to access the data.
FBI Crime Data Explorer
The FBI Crime Data Explorer is a Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) website that allows the public to explore crime statistics at both the national and local levels. You can check by location, where you will receive information on various offenses, including hate, violent, and property crimes. This tool can help you assess the overall safety of a given area and identify any trends or patterns that may exist to make an informed decision. While this site is a valuable tool for analyzing the safety of an area, so far, the information is not current.
Security Equipment That Can Improve Your Home’s Safety
Improving your home’s security plays a bigger part in minimizing crime rates in your neighborhood. A smart home security system is one of the best ways to protect your home. Here are some essential devices that you might need:
- Video cameras: Modern cameras come with motion detection, which senses movement and sounds an alarm. This allows you to know when there’s an intruder on your property. It becomes an excellent move for deterring intruders. You can also use recorded footage as evidence in the case of a burglary.
- Smart doorbells: With smart doorbells like the popular Ring Doorbell camera, you can see and talk to the person at your front door, whether or not you’re home.
- Motion-activated outdoor lights: Keeping your light on during the night doesn’t effectively deter crime. However, motion-activated lights illuminate when motion is detected, alerting you to an intruder.
- Smart locks: You can access your home remotely, lock and unlock the door, give temporary access codes to visitors, and track activity.
- Glass break sensors: These sensors alert you when they detect the sound of glass breaking, either from your window or door.
- Security yard sign: A yard sign notifies an intruder that the property is being monitored even when you’re not around.
- Environmental sensors: Devices such as smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and water leak sensors alert you of a potential risk, making it possible to prevent disasters.
- Indoor smart lights: Smart lights help you create the illusion of an occupied home, which can help deter intruders. The lights are also excellent for conserving energy since you can control them from anywhere.
- Safe or lock box: Helps lock away your valuables and important and sensitive documents., protecting them from damage or thieves.
Importance of Home Security
Home security gives you a sense of safety and peace of mind, knowing your loved ones and property are protected. Home security is important as it prevent flooding, burglaries, vandalism, carbon monoxide poisoning, fires, g, and other environmental disasters. It also helps detect emergencies, monitor your home remotely, and save on insurance premiums or any other costs that may arise from theft or destruction of your property.
Tips to Make Your Neighborhood Safer
We know it’s hard to completely eliminate your neighborhood. However, implementing some strategies can play a significant role in enhancing your neighborhood’s safety and security. The tips can also reduce the worry you have of “How safe is my neighborhood?” Here are a few tips that can be useful to you and your neighbors:
- Establish a neighborhood watch program
- Have a good relationship with your neighbor
- Improve outdoor and street lighting
- Maintain a clean and well-kept property
- Encourage good communication among neighbors
- Provide safety education through workshops and seminars
- Secure your home with security systems
- Encourage responsible pet ownership
- Speak up if you see or hear something suspicious
Improve Your Home Security With ONT Home
A safe neighborhood is everyone’s wish, and it starts with you! The listed tools will help you understand your neighborhood’s safety, so you can stop wondering, “How safe is my neighborhood? After using the tool that meets your criteria, start thinking of how to improve the safety and security of your area with the tips we have provided. If you’re looking to improve the security of your home, ONIT Home is here to guide you every step of the way. We’re here for you, whether you’re looking for individual equipment or a home security system. We can help design a system unique to your needs and provide 24/7 professional monitoring.