It’s no secret that plastic is polluting our planet. Plastic takes centuries to degrade, and in the meantime, it wreaks havoc on wildlife, clogs our waterways, and litters our landscapes. Here’s the good news: Each of us can help reduce plastic pollution simply by changing some of our everyday habits. In this article, we’re going to explain how to reduce plastic waste.
Every time we choose a reusable water bottle over a single-use plastic bottle or bring our shopping bags to the store instead of using disposable ones, we’re helping to make a difference. Reducing our reliance on plastic doesn’t have to be difficult or time-consuming – small changes can add up to a big impact. And, as more of us take action, we’ll send a powerful message to businesses and the government that it’s time to reduce our reliance on plastic for good.
Why Do People Want to Reduce Plastic Waste?
People want to reduce plastic waste for many reasons. Some people do it to protect the environment because plastic waste can pollute the earth. Some people want to reduce how much oil we use (plastic is made from oil), and some people do it because reusable things are usually cheaper in the long run than disposable things. You can do a lot of things to reduce how much plastic you use every day.
How Can I Reduce My Plastic Waste?
The best place to start is by looking at your daily habits and seeing where you can make some simple changes. Here are a few ideas on how to reduce plastic waste:
- Bring your reusable water bottle with you when you go out. This will help you avoid buying single-use plastic bottles of water.
- Bring your reusable shopping bags to the store. This will help you avoid using disposable plastic bags.
- Recycle any plastic items that you can’t avoid using. This helps to keep them out of landfills and reduces the need for new plastic production.
- Use a material other than plastic for food leftovers.
- Teach others how to reduce plastic waste.
Every little bit counts when it comes to reducing plastic waste!
What Damage does Plastic do in our Landfills?
When plastic ends up in a landfill, it can take centuries to break down. In the meantime, it releases harmful chemicals into the environment, pollutes our waterways, and attracts wildlife that can get entangled or ingest it. According to the City University of New York, “nearly 80% of plastic products are destined to end up in landfills or littered throughout our environment.”
What is the Degradation Process of Plastic?
The degradation process of plastic is the breakdown of the material into smaller and smaller pieces over time. This can happen through exposure to sunlight, heat, or water. Once degraded, plastic releases harmful chemicals into the environment.
The time it takes for plastic to degrade depends on the type of plastic and the conditions in which it’s discarded. Some plastics may start to degrade within a few years, while others can take hundreds or even thousands of years to break down.
The Benefits of Reducing Your Plastic Waste
Reducing your plastic waste has many benefits, both for the environment and for you personally. Here are just a few of the reasons why you should consider reducing your reliance on plastic. Reducing your plastic usage:
- Helps to reduce pollution. Every time you choose a reusable water bottle over a single-use plastic one, or bring your shopping bags to the store instead of using disposable ones, you’re helping to reduce the amount of plastic pollution in our environment.
- Conserves resources. Plastic is made from a non-renewable resource (petroleum). By reducing your reliance on plastic, you’ll help to conserve this valuable resource.
- Saves money. Reusable items often cost less in the long run than disposable ones. For example, investing in a reusable water bottle or coffee mug can save you money instead of buying single-use plastic bottles or cups.
Making even a small change in your daily habits can make a big difference in the fight against plastic pollution.
How to Recycle Plastic Properly
One of the best ways to reduce your plastic waste is to recycle any plastic items that you can’t avoid using. This helps to keep them out of landfills and reduces the need for new plastic production.
But recycling isn’t as simple as just tossing all your plastic waste into the nearest recycling bin. Different types of plastics require different recycling processes, and not all recycling facilities are equipped to handle all types of plastics. Once you know how to recycle, you’ll know how to reduce plastic waste.
To ensure that your plastic waste is properly recycled, you’ll need to do a little research to find out what type of plastics can be recycled at your local facility. Once you know what types of plastics they accept, be sure to put them in the correct recycling bin so that they can be properly sorted and recycled.
With a little effort, you can help to reduce plastic pollution and give your plastic waste a second life.
How You Can Exchange a Plastic Water Bottle for a Reusable Water Bottle
If you’re looking for a way to reduce your reliance on plastic water bottles, investing in a reusable water bottle is a great option. There are many different types of reusable water bottles available on the market, so you can find one that fits your needs and lifestyle.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a reusable water bottle:
- Make sure it’s made from safe materials. Some reusable water bottles are made from plastics that can leach harmful chemicals into your water. Look for a bottle that’s made from safe materials like stainless steel or glass.
- Choose the right size. Reusable water bottles come in all different sizes. Pick one that’s the right size for you so that you’ll use it and not end up leaving it at home.
- Consider your lifestyle. If you’re always on the go, you’ll need a different type of reusable water bottle than someone who spends most of their time at home. There are tons of different options available, so take some time to find one that fits your needs.
With a little bit of research, you can find the perfect reusable water bottle for you. Now that you know how to reduce plastic waste, it’s time to learn about how a home water filtration system can also assist.
The Benefits of a Home Water Filtration System
One of the best ways to reduce your reliance on plastic water bottles is to invest in a water filtration system. Water filtration systems are designed to take out contaminants from your water, making it safe and clean to drink.
There are many different types of water filtration systems available, so you can find one that fits your needs. Some water filtration systems are designed for home use, while others are portable and can be taken with you on the go.
Below are some of the benefits of investing in a water filtration system. A home water filtration system:
- Removes contaminants from the water in your home. A good water filtration system will remove 99% of all contaminants from your water, including lead, chlorine, and bacteria.
- Makes tap water safe to drink. If you’re concerned about the quality of your tap water, investing in a water filtration system will give you peace of mind. Filtered water is safe to drink, so you can ditch those plastic water bottles for good.
- Saves you money. Buying bottled water can be expensive, but if you have a water filtration system, you can save money in the long run. Filtered water is just as good as bottled water, but it doesn’t cost nearly as much.
- Reduces plastic waste. One of the best things about filtered water is that it eliminates the need for plastic water bottles.
Look Towards ONIT Home For Home Water Filtration Systems
ONIT Home specializes in installing water filtration systems in homes. We believe that everyone deserves to have access to clean and safe water, so we offer a variety of different water filtration systems to meet your needs and your budget! Learn more today by visiting us online or giving us a call at 1-833-433-0331.