Solar panels are one of the top products used to create green energy. This means everyone should take the time to learn more about it. Since most of us are aware of climate change and other related issues, we all must take the time to research and understand products such as solar panels and how they work. That said, let’s review solar panels, how they work, and an answer to the question: what is the lifespan of a solar panel?
Discover Energy Audits with Solar Energy and ONIT Home
Try our Free Energy Audit to make sure your home is performing at optimum energy efficiency. We’ll inspect every nook and cranny of your home to make sure it’s best serving your needs. We’ll also give you tips on lowering your energy bills, conserving energy, and creating a more efficient space. To learn more about how we can help you maintain a top performing home, visit us online to get started!
What Are the Benefits of Using Solar Panels?
Before we answer the question, what is the lifespan of a solar panel, let’s find out about their benefits. Some of the top benefits of using solar panels are:
- Save Money: One of the top benefits of using solar panels is that they can help you save money. This is because they make some of your energy free, which will help lower your utility bills.
- Survive Off-Grid: Another major benefit of using solar panels is that it makes it possible to survive off-grid. This is at least true during the day. It will not provide you with all the power you need, but it can be a great way to power your home in emergency situations.
- Boost Home Value: Solar panels may also boost your home value. This is because green-friendly homes have more value than homes that do not have these features. Some experts believe that purchasing solar panels can increase your home’s value by $15,000 or more.
- Protect the Environment: Using solar panels also makes it possible to protect the environment. This is because using them helps to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Reliable: Solar panels are very reliable. As long as the sun appears, solar panels will do their jobs. This is much better than relying on electrical companies only.
- All Climates Welcome: Some people believe that solar energy only works in warm climates. This is not true. Solar panels can work in pretty much any climate.
- Great for Everyone: Solar panels are not for certain people. They’re for everyone. Some people think that they are only for those who want to live simpler lifestyles. However, they can be used by people from all walks of life and in houses of all sizes.
What are the Disadvantages of Using Solar Panels?
On the other hand, there are also some disadvantages to using solar panels that you should know about. Some of them are:
- Appearance. There are some people who do not like the appearance of solar panels. Depending on where you are getting your solar panels from, they may take away from the appearance of your home overall. So, if you are the type of person that is very concerned with how your home looks, you may need to shop around and find solar panels that have the appearance you want.
- Daytime Only. One major disadvantage of solar panels is that they can only be used while the sun is out. This is why they do not make it possible for people to live off the grid totally. So, solar panels can make it possible for you to power your home during the day, but you will need another source when night falls.
- It’s Not a DIY Choice. Many people believe that solar panels are easy to install. However, this is not the case. This is because professionals are well-trained in solar panels and how they work. They can install and repair your solar panels easily, but if you try to DIY, it will likely be harder than it seems. Hiring professionals is the best way to make sure your solar panels are fully functional and that they are giving you the best discount possible.
- Certain Roofs Only. Not all roofs are right for solar panels. Depending on the size, shade, shading, etc., of the roof, your roof may not be right for solar panels. So, in order to know if your roof is right for your roof, you may need to hire a professional to tell you whether or not your roof is right for solar panels.
- Not 100% Friendly to the Environment. Solar panels can help reduce your carbon footprint, but they are not 100% friendly to the environment. This is because solar panels require time, energy, and materials to make them. So, even though they can help reduce your carbon footprint in the long term, they also increase the carbon footprint when they are first created.
- Quality. Since there are so many options for purchasing solar panels, you have to make sure you are buying ones that are high-quality. This can be a long process, depending on where you live and when you plan to purchase them. So, you must take the time to research which solar panels have great reviews before purchasing.
What is the Lifespan of a Solar Panel?
Now, let’s answer the question: what is the lifespan of a solar panel?
Since solar panels can be bought from a wide variety of places, the lifespan can vary. However, the average lifespan of a solar panel is around 25 years. Also, the lifespan is more complicated than it seems. This is because solar panels do not just stop working once they have been there for 25 years. However, the energy will likely start becoming less potent at this point.
So, the answer to the question: what is the lifespan of a solar panel is more complicated than it seems.
Why Do Solar Panels Only Last for 25 Years?
Many who ask about what is the lifespan of a solar panel also wonder why solar panels only work for 25 years rather than for life, some of the reasons are:
- Weather. One of the top reasons solar panels only last for 25 years is the weather. For instance, if you live in an area that is known for extreme weather, such as hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, etc., this will likely cause damage to your solar panels. Over time, this will cause the panels to need repair or total replacement.
- Installation. How long a solar panel lasts also depends on who and how it is installed. If you decide to install them yourself or work with someone who is not a professional, your solar panels may not be installed properly. So, while they may seem to be working fine, you may end up with issues far quicker than you would have if you had paid for a professional to install them.
- Position of Mounting. How the panels are positioned can play a major role in how they function and how long they last. Solar panels must be facing the sun as much as possible to be fully functional. This depends on where you live and how the sun affects your area.
- Temperatures. It may seem like living in areas with higher temperatures can help the solar panels work better. However, this is not true. In fact, if you live in extremely hot temperatures, your solar panels may not work as well as they do in areas without extreme temperatures.
How to Extend the Lifespan of Your Solar Panels
If you are asking, what is the lifespan of a solar panel, you may also wonder about tips on how to extend the lifespan of your solar panels. Some ways are as follows:
- Keep them Clean and Well Maintained: In order to extend the lifespan of your solar panels, you must keep them clean and well maintained. So, you must take the time to clean off your solar panels and make sure they are not covered with trash, dirt, or other harmful substances. Also, you must take the time to contact a professional whenever your solar panels need to be serviced. This is the best way to make sure the damage does not get worse and cause more issues.
- Maintain and Replace Batteries: Also, you must make sure you are maintaining and replacing your solar panel batteries as much as possible. This is because solar panels include a backup battery system that needs to be working at all times. So, you must make sure you take the time to inspect and replace your batteries as needed.
Looking For Solar Panels in Your Area?
Overall, if you are interested in getting solar panels installed on your home, we are here to help. Here at ONIT Home, we are skilled at installing solar panels on homes and organizations of all kinds. There is no need to go the DIY route. Contacting us is one of the best ways to get high-quality solar panels that last as long as they should.