If you were to take a national poll of Americans asking if they were in favor of having clean water, it’s a safe bet that 100% of them would say yes. But if you were to ask why is water quality important, most would struggle to give any specific answers beyond simply saying they don’t want to drink dirt and germs.
If they were to learn just how vital clean water is to health and wellbeing and how many nasty things might lurk in the water they take for granted, it’s likely they would take the quality of their water much more seriously. The USGS estimates that each person in an average household uses 80-100 gallons of water each day for drinking, bathing, washing clothes and dishes, and flushing the toilet, totaling 3.9 trillion gallons used each month. Those numbers help to give a clearer perspective on why it’s so important for that water to be clean.
The Health Benefits of Clean Water
Water is the fundamental essence of all living things. The human body is composed of more than 60% water, the blood in your veins about 80%, your brain and lungs each about 73%, and our skin 64%. Every cell in your body is constantly bathed in water. It’s the main component of almost every body part and performs many vital functions. Without water, the human body breaks down and ceases to function within 3-5 days. Other reasons why water quality is important is because the liquid:
- Circulates the necessary oxygen and nutrients throughout the body for cells to reproduce and grow
- Helps the brain manufacture the neurotransmitters and hormones needed for normal operation
- Regulates the body’s temperature through respiration and perspiration
- Flushes out harmful waste products
- Lubricates and cushions the joints
- Acts as a cushioning shock absorber for the spinal cord and brain
- Creates saliva for digestion and keeps mucous membranes moist
Why We Need Clean Water
With water performing so many necessary functions in our bodies, you might expect to see some positive and noticeable health benefits from drinking enough clean water every day, and you’d be right. Experts recommend men drink an average 3.2 quarts of water every day and women 2.3 quarts of water for the following benefits:
- Clarity and quickness of thinking. With water making up so much of the mass of your brain and helping it to repair itself and function properly, consuming enough of it can improve concentration, creativity, and reaction time.
- Beautify skin and hair. Water naturally moisturizes and rejuvenates the cells in your skin and hair and helps them to heal and reproduce, giving you a glowing, healthy look and shiny, full-bodied hair.
- Better digestion. Water moves the food you eat through your digestive system, lubricating the way and carrying off harmful wastes. It helps to keep your kidneys healthy and to prevent constipation.
- Prevention and relief of headaches. A major cause of frequent headaches is dehydration. When the brain doesn’t have enough water, the tissue surrounding it shrinks, causing pain. Drinking a glass of water can bring quick relief.
- Helps with weight loss. Water is the basis for every biological action in your body, including the burning of fat cells. It contains zero calories and can help to reduce hunger and appetite for those on a diet.
- Aids in injury prevention. Water lubricates the moving parts of the body, keeping joints and cartilage moist and flexible. Drinking enough clean water every day can help to prevent injury during exercise and relieve pain in the joints.
Possible Contaminants in Your Water
Once you realize just how vital clean water is to your health and wellbeing, the question of why is water quality important takes on more significance when you consider all the harmful things that can be present in your water. Although both federal and state laws regulate the quality of the water that comes into your home, enforcement of those standards varies from place to place. Therefore, water contamination does occur and can sometimes continue for long periods of time before it’s discovered. Other types of harmful bacteria can also get into the public water system.
A whole range of chemicals and other inorganic contaminants can be present in your household water, including arsenic, lead, mercury, copper, and many more. Some of these might leach into the water naturally, while others come from commercial industries like manufacturing and refining. Although water quality standards require these contaminants be kept to a safe minimum, sometimes they reach dangerous levels. It’s vitally important to the health of yourself and your family that you know what contaminants are in your tap water and take steps to remove them.
Your Home Water Filtration Solution
The best way to ensure you have clean water available is with a whole home water filtration system. Modern systems can eliminate up to 99.8% of the harmful contaminants in your water. They can also soften your water simultaneously. Your food and drinks will taste better. Your hair and skin will be softer and cleaner, and your clothes will look brighter and cleaner. A water filtration system is one of the best investments you can make for your family’s health and comfort. Scheduling a water test for your home is also a great step towards treating and cleaning your water.
For more information on water filtration for your home, contact ONIT Water online or call us at 1-800-610-2145. We’re happy to provide you with a complimentary home water test to identify what’s lurking within your faucet and get you one step closer to top-quality water.